The dam assessment occupied the other half of those fourteen days. Martin inspected the control systems, reviewed the earlier reports, and assembled an independent team to evaluate the surfaces that could not be adequately examined beneath normal lake levels. They identified age-related concerns worth investigating: sediment near the old outlet structures, wear in components that had been serviced repeatedly, and the need to evaluate parts of the upstream face more closely than partial inspections allowed. None of those findings meant the dam was about to fail. They did mean that a comprehensive drawdown had an engineering purpose beyond my argument with Mountain Vista.
We met with state and local water officials, discussed downstream flow limits, and arranged for staged releases rather than an uncontrolled opening. We also consulted fisheries specialists about temporary habitat loss and the practical work of relocating fish from shrinking pools. The schedule involved constant monitoring and the ability to pause the drawdown if conditions became unsafe. A full reservoir inspection was possible, the specialists concluded, but it was neither costless nor environmentally harmless. I signed the paperwork knowing I would have to fund mitigation measures myself.
Garrett was notified in writing through the association's attorney that a reservoir drawdown was being planned for August 1. The notice identified the maintenance scope, warned that lake levels would change, and advised the resort operator to make its own decisions about boats, docks, guest safety, and reservations. David sent another letter with Elena's preliminary boundary findings and an invitation to discuss removal or a lawful temporary arrangement. Garrett's response did not address the survey markers. It threatened litigation if any operation interfered with the resort's business.
"He thinks you're bluffing," David said after reading the letter. I was standing beside the study window, watching clouds gather over the western ridge. Maybe Garrett did think it was a bluff, or maybe he simply believed the costs would frighten me into submission. I had spent a lifetime calculating risk before constructing anything, and I could already feel the weight of the decision. Draining the lake would disrupt fish, birds, neighbors, and innocent travelers, not only Garrett's bookings.
Emma called on July 29 while I was reviewing the environmental plan. She asked if I had unpacked the boxes she'd sent from Portland. I told her I had found a more pressing problem, then explained about the cabins. She listened without interrupting until I mentioned the planned drawdown. "Dad," she said quietly, "is this about the dam, or about making that man sorry?"
It was the same question Martin had asked, but hearing it from my daughter made it harder to answer. I told her the maintenance work was real and overdue for consideration. I also admitted that I was not eager to keep providing free lakefront views to a business built on our land without permission. Emma said she understood why I was angry, then reminded me that the water had been part of her childhood, too. "Don't punish the lake because somebody else made a bad choice," she said.
I promised her I would not. That night I went through the maintenance plan again, especially the sections covering aquatic habitat, downstream monitoring, and the timetable for recovery. I had the legal and engineering advice I needed to begin, but I had lost the comfortable fiction that the decision would have no consequences beyond a businessman losing revenue. When I set the papers aside, I thought of Granddad's warning about everybody downstream. I decided that if I was going to insist on the responsibilities of ownership, I would have to accept all of them.