I asked how she would feel about a new owner keeping the existing business open while improving infrastructure. She studied me before answering. "Depends whether the new owner is going to pay his bills and listen when somebody says a dock is unsafe." I told her that was a fair condition.
She did not ask whether I had money or a powerful attorney. She asked whether I understood that boaters sometimes needed help at six in the morning and that fuel orders could not wait for an argument about whose road they crossed. That conversation mattered as much as the financial statements.
The legal diligence moved through a secure data room maintained by Mark's attorney. Every major contract, claim, reservation, and property document had to be located and reviewed. Rachel examined the shareholder and membership records of Silver Pine Lakefront Holdings LLC, while Nathan checked company liabilities against bank statements. The seller supplied written disclosures about the Dawson ground lease and the restricted western road. Nothing in that process was glamorous, and it was exactly what made the transaction possible.
One afternoon Rachel called and told me to come to her office. She had found email exchanges from Laura in Mark's negotiation file. In one, Laura demanded that permanent western access be described as established before the HOA's final financing presentation. In another, she wrote that future lakefront value depended on uninterrupted control of the road and that a question over access would destroy the expansion projections. Mark's lawyer had replied that no such warranty could be made without the landowner's consent.
There was a third email with the subject line PHASE FOUR LAND VALUE. It described eighteen potential premium lots, a second dock basin, a larger event lawn, and road improvements for construction traffic. The proposed western route crossed the same part of Dawson Creek Ranch where we had photographed fresh orange stakes. The projected revenue depended on land and access rights Laura did not possess. Rachel set the printed email in front of me and waited.
"She knew," I said. Rachel corrected me gently. "We have evidence she knew there was an unresolved access issue, that the seller refused to guarantee the right, and that her plans depended on resolving it. We still need to establish exactly what she told homeowners and where their money went."
I wanted the broader conclusion immediately. Rachel kept me at the narrow one the record supported. That discipline would become important later when Laura began making statements in front of people with cameras.
Two days before our financing deadline, Mark called to say Laura wanted exclusivity and had promised a final financing certificate. He had not signed anything restricting him from accepting another offer, but he was tired of delay. Rachel asked his attorney for confirmation in writing, then obtained it. Mark said he would proceed with the first qualified buyer who could close on the agreed terms. I told him we would be ready.
The following days were filled with signatures and calls. I mortgaged the non-core gravel tract under terms Nathan had negotiated carefully. I transferred a limited amount of Dawson Excavations' reserves without touching payroll funds and signed the commercial financing agreement after reading the repayment schedule more than once. The lender required updated insurance, environmental conditions, and reserves for marina repairs. It was not easy money, and I never pretended it was.