She sat at the kitchen table with a calculator. If she transferred the remaining acres at that rate, she would lose most of the profit and still owe for transport and repairs. If she waited, the weather might ruin the opportunity entirely. Neither choice was ideal. She called Samuel and presented both options without dressing them up. Samuel took a moment, then asked a question she had not anticipated. "What do you think is best for my crop?" he said.
Martha looked at the rain streaking her kitchen window. "If Tyler can get there as soon as the ground is safe, his larger crew may reduce the weather risk. My machine should be ready after the repair, but I won't promise it before I've verified the result."
Samuel replied, "Then let's book him as backup. If you finish first, fine. If he has to come, at least my corn gets cut."
For the first time since they had taken the job, Martha felt the pressure change shape. She was no longer trying to defend ownership of an old combine. She was managing an obligation to a customer with options beyond her own machinery. It was less romantic than the auction story and more like a real business. She put the arrangement in writing, confirmed what work had already been completed, and explained how charges would be adjusted if the backup crew took over. Samuel thanked her for making the problem his business too, rather than waiting until the last moment to surprise him.
The repair took the rest of Friday and part of Saturday. Martha and June documented the affected mounting, corrected the alignment, and checked for secondary wear. June found a witness mark that helped explain how the assembly had shifted under repeated load. Martha made her trace the likely cause rather than merely replacing a loose fastener and declaring victory. They checked the relevant components under appropriate conditions and updated the maintenance log. By the time the rain stopped, the machine appeared ready for another cautious test. What neither woman could repair was the saturated field.
Sunday brought a pale sky and a cold breeze. They drove to Samuel's farm to inspect the access route without bringing the combine. The soil was too soft for heavy equipment. Martha pressed her boot into the ground, watched water rise around the sole, and shook her head. June looked disappointed. Samuel simply nodded. He had been farming long enough to understand that wishing land dry did not change it. Tyler called that afternoon to confirm his crew could be available once the field met acceptable conditions. The plan was no longer a threat to Martha's pride. It was the reason Samuel had a reasonable chance of finishing.
On Tuesday the west edge of Samuel's field finally became firm enough to assess. Tyler arrived in a pickup and walked the ground with Martha and Samuel. The two operators compared access points, wagon routes, and the sections that would remain too soft until later. Martha found herself discussing logistics with the man who had warned her not to enter his business. Tyler was practical, more interested in the crop and the forecast than in protecting his ego. He agreed that his larger crew could complete the firm acreage quickly, while the wet corner should wait. Martha handled the portion already in progress, coordinated the handoff, and remained responsible for the written reconciliation with Samuel.